In the few years I have been blogging, the whole concept of WHY I blog often settles in. Every time it happens, I end up having a dry period, wondering “What exactly is it I am doing here? What do I hope to accomplish?” I then wander around in circles for a bit (mostly figuratively), and ultimately come back to the same reason … because I can. And because I (sometimes) enjoy it. Anything beyond that is really just a bonus.
Somehow, despite my occasional bouts of ennui, my immersion in the Blogshphere seems to continue to grow. I went from 1 blog with a small following to now being involved with 8 blogs, with equally small followings. That is not quite true. Some of them are in conjunction with (or for) other people. Those seem to do better in general. For anyone actually interested, here is the complete list (in alphabetical order … I think):
- The odd ramblings of a mind that does not quite fit – my first blog which is about anything and everything (and THIS blog)
- A tale of a trail – the tale of my attempt to hike the Appalachian Trail, from the original idea to completion
- Grandma’s Imagination House – the newest project … an attempt at a family craft business (I am just the web guy)
- HeArtful Theatre Company – my SISTER’S new theatre business (again I am just the web guy)
- It all starts with the body – an attempt at MY OWN health and fitness related business
- The Ninja Cat Journals – an attempt at a humor blog
- thru my eyes – my attempts at photography
- Welcome to a New World – an attempt to create a world saving community
Why am I mentioning these? Beyond the blatant self promotion (AGAIN), I am basically listing the many projects I seem to be involved in. There are also to the two fiction novels I am attempting to write. Yep for someone who has nothing to do, I sure seem to have a lot to do. The issue is that there is one key word for most of these projects … ATTEMPTS.
Lately I seem to be getting exactly nowhere fast. Maybe it is because I am trying to many things at once. But I think that is a symptom rather than the problem. Ultimately every single one of these projects has the same goal … to improve myself, to help others … to make my life a meaningful one … at least to me.
I guess the real question is, what is the meaning I am seeking? We are all ultimately writing the story of our own lives. But like with the novels I am working on, I am not quite clear where that story is going. I am making it up as I go along. So I guess it comes down to this. My why is really just because. I can sit here and stare at a blank page, and wonder why my story is not continuing, or just keep writing it and see where it goes. Maybe the story will surprise me. Maybe eventually I will know the ending I am heading for. But either way, it will really go nowhere if I stop writing it.
Kind of like this rather random post. 🙂